- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 8 broccoli heads
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 8 bite-size pieces
- 1 green or red pepper, quartered
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups ice water
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Flatten the shrimp by making several cuts across the inside curve of each shrimp and gently stretch the shrimp flat on a cutting board.
- Dredge all vegetables in a small amount of flour and place on a plate.
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 inches of oil to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, egg, baking powder and salt.
- Gently whisk in 2½ cups ice water, mixing until ingredients are moistened. Lumps will form. Lumps in the mixture are preferable.
- Using chopsticks (or tongs) dip the shrimp and vegetables into the batter and fry, turning occasionally until golden or for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp and vegetables to paper towels to drain. Always remove any residual batter from oil before adding the next batch of shrimp or vegetables. Always ensure oil temperature remains at 325°F.
NotesThis easy-to-make, light and crispy tempura can be enjoyed alone or as a filling for a variety of sushi rolls.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Secret of the Wings CookbookSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More