- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tb. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tb. milk
- 3 Tb. undrained chopped, canned green chilies
- 1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 oz.)
- 1 egg yolk mixed w/1/2 tsp. water for glaze
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper, if desired. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together egg, milk and chilies. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in the cheese 'til evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 8" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20-25 min. 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack to cool for 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Makes 8 scones
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tb. undrained chopped, canned green chilies
- 2 Tb. mild taco sauce
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- generous dash ground cumin
- Place cream cheese, chilies, taco sauce, sugar, chili powder and cumin in food processor fitted with steel blade. Process for 20 seconds or 'til smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of container if necessary.
- Scrape spread into small bowl. Serve immediately at room temp. or cover and refrigerate.
- Makes approx. 3/4 cup
Notes"The mildly spicy scone flecked with Cheddar cheese and chilies is perfect with Taco Spread (recipe to follow) and a bowl of chili."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More