- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryLooking for a healthful side dish? Try this unique stuffing recipe made with whole wheat pita bread, Greek seasoning (or oregano) and bruschetta spread.
- 6 whole wheat pita bread (about 12 ounces), cut in thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek seasoning or oregano
- 1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup bruschetta spread
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces black olive slices, drained
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, preferably fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Place the bread in a single layer on a large sheet pan and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until lightly toasted. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the Greek seasoning, toasted pita bread and broth; stir until the bread is uniformly moistened. Stir in the bruschetta spread, olives, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and parsley. Heat through. Keep warm or reheat immediately before serving.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 110; Total fat 2.5g; Saturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 0g; Sodium 340,g; carbohydrate 18g;l Fiber 2g; Protein 4g; Vitamin A 4%DV*; Vitamin C 6%DV; Calcium 2% DV; Iron 8%DV *Daily Value