- Cooking Time: 340
- Preparation Time:
- 1 ½ lb bacon slices
- 20 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 turkey, approx. 24 lb
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups brandy
- 2 bay leaves
- Several fresh lemon thyme sprigs
- 1 cup fresh chopped fennel (stalk and fronds)
- 2 ½ lb. button mushrooms
- 2 cup raisins
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Soak raisins in two cups brandy for 2 hours. Drain into bowl.
- Set brandy and raisins aside.
- Brown bacon on medium high heat.
- Chop small.
- Return to pan.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, fennel, soaked raisins, and mushrooms to the bacon. Stir.
- Place in the turkeys’ cavity.
- Seal the cavity.
- Place turkey in large roasting pan.
- Surround the turkey with the pearl onions and potatoes in the roasting pan.
- Add stock, butter, and brandy (including brandy from raisins)
- Place in oven.
- Keep at 425 for 10 min.
- Reduce to 325.
- Cook turkey at 325 approx. 5 ½ hrs, or until a meat thermometer indicates the internal temperature registers 180 degrees F in the thigh and 170 degrees F in the breast, basting every 30 to 45 min.
- When turkey is done, plate turkey, add stuffing from cavity to bread stuffing, bowl (separately) potatoes and onions, and serve with traditional holiday fair – Grilled vegetables, savory bread, and buttered raisin stuffing.
NotesThis is my permutation of Coq a Vin. Which means bigger, tastier, juicier, deliciouser, and nothing like the original.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More