- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional or to taste)
- 2-4 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn niblets, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (7 ounce) bottle spicy taco sauce (optional, I like to add it in!)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 cup water or tomato juice (more if needed to thin)
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch-style dry salad dressing mix
- black pepper
- seasoning salt (optional) or white salt (optional)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas (cut into 1/4-inch strips, can use more)
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- In a large pot brown the beef with onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers and chili flakes (if using) until well browned (about 12-15 minutes; drain and return to pot.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients except the tortillas; mix to combine.
- Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours (simmer uncovered the last 30 minutes of cooking).
- Season with black pepper and salt if desired.
- Thin out with more water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Place the tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt if desired and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowl and top with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and baked tortilla strips.
NotesThis is a very thick soup, if you want a thinner soup with more liquid add in more water or tomato juice to thin out as desired. I strongly advise to make this soup a day ahead and refrigerate to blend the flavors! You can really use any kind of beans that you desired for this recipe, or use a mixture of canned beans, or use just the kidney beans! Make certain to brown the ground beef very well it adds more flavor to the soup. Servings is only estimated.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Paul's Food World Volume 1
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More