2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
garlic (in the jar, already chopped, is just fine)
plain white vinegar (or water in a pinch)
Tortillas (flour, corn, soft, crunchy, your choice)
Iceberg lettuce chopped into small pieces
Avocado cut in small pieces
2 tomatoes diced
sm container sour cream
grated cheddar/jack cheese (Trader Joe's has a very reasonably priced Mexican-lite cheese already shredded in a bag)
jalapeno diced (if you like hot)
jar/container of salsa (again, we like TJ's green tomatillo salsa, but your choice)
2 cans black beans
1. Make the chicken
-put 4-6 tblspns chili powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tblsp chopped garlic and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl.
Slowly drizzle the vinegar in whilst stirring. You want a loose paste. And if you don't have vinegar, you can use water. Taste is less intense but still good.
-line a jelly roll pan with tin foil, spread the chicken thighs out in one layer and paint with marinade. Better if done overnight, but same day is just fine.
- broil 5-6 minutes on each side, then slice into strips or roughly chop
2. Beans. Empty the two cans into a small saucepan, add salt to taste and a tblsp of chopped garlic. If you like cilantro, add that as well. My kids are in a "i don't like that' phase w cilantro, so I leave it out. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 min. You can let them simmer for longer if you want to.
3. Rice. Cooked the way you like. I add a 1/8th tsp of turmeric and 1/2 tsp of salt, adds a nice color/flavor.
4. Condiments. Put the lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, jalapeno, et al in small bowls/containers
5. Heat tortillas for 2-3 min in a warm oven
6. Put everything to the table and let everyone make their own taco/burrito. Ole!
Pairs Well With
We get together with friends and neighbors on Tuesdays, kids love the tradition and so do we! I marinate the chicken Monday night after dinner, so Tuesday when I get home from work I just have to stick it in the broiler. The kids (middle and high school age) take charge of all the other prep work; makes for a pretty relaxed evening for everyone.