- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 ground turkey
- 1 cup water
- Heat olive oil in large skillet
- Add ground turkey and brown
- While turkey is browning, combine all seasoning ingredients in small bowl.
- Once turkey is browned, sprinkle seasoning mix over turkey and cook it with the turkey for a minute or so.
- Add water and reduce heat to low simmer.
- Simmer until meat and sauce is desired consistency. About 10 minutes.
NotesIn my mind, every family needs a decent recipe for making their own taco seasoning. Most of the packets you get in the store have quite a lot of sodium, so making your own allows you to cut back to the bare minimum. I have high blood pressure, so the less sodium the better.
This recipe is used specifically for ground turkey, as that is our ground meat of choice, but it would work just as well with ground beef. You could perhaps reduce the amount of beef bouillon by half if using beef, as it will bring flavor of its own to the recipe.
We use this taco meat in tacos, of course, but also in burritos, bowls, and even as taco pizzas. Additionally, I will add it to canned tomato soup, to give it a bit more flavor and substance. I also sometimes add it to leftover mac and cheese when I reheat it to create a cheesy taco mac dish. It is a great way to use up leftovers without feeling you are eating the exact same meal a second time.