- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 lbs minced meat (beef or chicken)
- 3-4 potatoes
- oil for frying
- cucumber and greens: lettuce, dill and parsley (to garnish)
- Mix the minced meat with the egg, onions and garlic.
- Add the spices and form mixture into patties.
- Peel potatoes, grate, and add salt.
- Roll the potatoes into balls. Each Latke requires two potato balls and a meat cutlet.
- Flatten the potato balls with a fork or spoon and put a patty of meat between each pair.
- Fry each potato and meat latke until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve on lettuce leaves and garnish with cucumber and herb
NotesThis Meat Latke recipe was submitted by Olesya Gorshenina and is included in “Israel to Go” a pocket culinary tour published by Taglit-Birthright Israel.
The cookbook features 20 specially selected recipes derived from the spice pallet and foods native to the Mediterranean to chronicle the exotic cultural experience offered to Taglit-Birthright Israel trip participants. All recipes are designed to be easy for the home-cook to follow.
Taglit-Birthright Israel sends Jewish adults between the ages of 18 to 26 on a free 10-day trip to Israel to strengthen each participant’s Jewish identity and build a lasting bond with the land and people of Israel. Since its inception, more than 350,000 Jewish young adults have taken part in Taglit-Birthright Israel from more than 65 countries, all 50 U.S. states and from nearly 1,000 North American college campuses.