- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 blocks firm tofu (about 2 pounds)
- Canolla oil for frying
- 1 cup raw, shelled peanuts
- 10 cloves garlic,minced
- 1 cup crushed peanuts or extra crunchy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons Kecap Manis Sedang* (Indonesian medium sweet soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek* (Indonesian ground red pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon gula djawa or gula melaka* (palm sugar)
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 medium size head of white cabbage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup beansprouts
- Wipe tofu thoroughly on paper towels.
- Cut tofu in 1/2 inch squares.
- Heat oil in wok or large frying pan and fry the tofu until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain fried tofu on paper towels.
- In the same oil fry the peanuts for 3 to 4 minutes, drain and rub off the skins.
- Set aside.
- Make the sauce by pouring all but one tablespoon of oil; fry the onion and garlic over low heat until onion is soft.
- Add crushed peanuts or peanut butter, Indonesian soy sauce, sambal oelek and palm sugar.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add coconut milk, than the sliced cabbage.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, add tofu.
- Stir in tofu without breaking squares.
- Just before serving add beansprouts and green onion.
- Serve over warm rice.
- These products can be purchased at your local Oriental Markets, such as 99 Ranch Market or on line.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Arugula and Corn Salad With Roasted Red Peppers and White Bean
Stuffed Zucchini with Turkey Sausage RecipeSee More