- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 2 yellow onions – chopped
- 2 medium carrots - diced
- 2 cups – light red wine (I prefer pinot noir)
- 4 cups fish stock
- 8 oz. clam juice
- 2 28 oz. can diced Italian tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, trimmed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 16 -24 mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 16 -24 manila clams, well scrubbed
- ½ lb. medium shrimp
- ½ lb. sea scallops
- 2-3 lbs. black sea bass or rock fish (any firm fish will do) cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
- * Dungeness crab, Alaskan king crab legs or squid can be added if desired.
- Lots of Sourdough bread – toasted or garlic baked if desired
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, cook additional 2 minute or so.
- Add tomatoes, wine, stock, clam juice, bay leaves, parsley (reserve ¼ cup for garnish), lemon zest, oregano, thyme, basil and cayenne. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Strain well, discarding vegetables and herbs, and return broth to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add mussels, clams and shrimp to broth, stir gently, and cook over medium heat until mussels and clams open. (Discard any that do not open.) Add bass pieces and simmer for another 7 minutes or until fish turns opaque.
- Ladle soup into a large bowl over a small bed of linguini (optional) and garnish with reserved parsley. Serve with sourdough bread. Have Tabasco handy.
Notes--Recipe from litl spouse, Tai.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More