Why I Love This Recipe
This was a big hit at the Super Bowl luncheon!
Ingredients You'll Need
For the filling:
3 poblano peppers
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
1 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the topping:
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
1. For the filling: roast the pop llanos directly over the flame of a gas burner or under the broiler, turning with tongs, until charred all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Scrape off the charred skin with a paring knife, then chop, discard the stems and seeds; set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork, chorizo and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, cinnamon and cloves and cook, sitting until the spices are toasted, 1 minute. Return the meat to the pot and add tomatoes, corn, Worcestershire sauce and the roasted poblanos. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes, season with kosher salt and stir in the cilantro. Pour the mixture into a 3 quart baking dish.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the topping: whisk the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl.whisk the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs in another bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until incorporated; stir in the cheese.
5. Dollop the cornbread mixture over the filling and smooth into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Casserole