- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed safflower oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 teaspoon evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add cumin, coriander and cayenne to skillet and stir to coat onions with spices. Cook for 1 minute, then add diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup water, sugar and tamarind concentrate. Stir to mix well. Add chickpeas and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon into bowls and serve.
NotesCumin, coriander and cayenne combine with tamarind concentrate to bring some spice to canned chickpeas and tomatoes. Tamarind paste is a wonderful specialty item for your pantry. It keeps well and can be used to add pizzazz to marinades, sauces and tofu or bean dishes. The pulp of the fruit that grows on the tamarind tree is used as a flavoring agent for sauces in Thai and Indian cooking and is a common ingredient in Mexican confections. It adds a pleasantly sour taste to pad thai, dipping sauces and curries. Serve this dish over basmati rice and, for added fun, scoop up bite-size portions using white, whole wheat or corn tortillas.
Per serving (about 9oz/275g-wt.): 250 calories (60 from fat), 6g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 40g total carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 9g protein
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Koken met Oma
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More