- Cooking Time: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Place the first 11 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of processor bowl once.
- Combine yogurt mixture and chicken in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag.
- Seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove chicken from bag, and discard marinade. Thread chicken strips onto 24 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and broil 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.
- Arrange skewers on a serving platter, and garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
NotesThis recipe, from Cooking Light (Nov 95), was a big hit at our most recent supper club night. I served them on tooth picks instead of skewers, only putting a few chunks of chicken on each, so it was more of an appetizer. Great with mango chutney on the side!