- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 25
- 2 1/2 lb chicken pieces (legs and/or breast) skinned
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 450 ml plain yogurt
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 in piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 hot green chilies, roughly sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Cut each leg into two pieces and each breast into four. Make two deep slits crossways across the meaty parts. The slits should not start at an edge or cut to the bone. Put chicken in a large zip baggie, sprinkle with salt and lemon on both sides and rub in well, set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade: combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Strain the paste through a coarse sieve into the baggie with the chicken and rub into the slits. Refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to maximum temperature (make sure your oven's clean!!) - about 450 or 500 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the marinade and spread it out in a single layer on a large shallow baking tray. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through. Lift it out of its juices and serve with lemon or lime wedges. (Save the marinade and cooking juices for the Tikka Masala)
NotesThis is a 2-part recipe, neither part hard but you have to marinate and cook the tandoori chicken first, eat as much of it as you like, then add the rest to the tikka masala. The tandoori chicken is not red, apparantly that comes from food dye! Who knew! This recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey and a wonderful book she put out with the BBC called foolproof Indian Cooking (my kind of cooking!!!) I would suggest making double the quantity and having half the first night and making the Masala the second.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Gluten-Free and Delicious
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More