TANGY ORANGE CHICKEN STIR-FRY
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest from one orange
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews , toasted in dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown, about 6 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli , florets cut into bite-size pieces (about 1 1/2-inches tall and 1-inch wide), stems trimmed, peeled, and cut on bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 medium scallions , sliced 1/4-inch thick on bias
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, and water in medium bowl; add chicken and stir to break up clumps.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Mix sesame oil, cornstarch, flour, and orange zest in medium bowl until smooth.
- Drain chicken in strainer; press out excess liquid.
- Toss chicken in cornstarch/flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Whisk chicken broth, orange juice, vinegar, soy, hoisin, cornstarch, sugar, and pepper flakes in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine ginger, garlic, and 1 tablespoon peanut oil in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking; add half of chicken to skillet in flat, even layer.
- Cook, without stirring, but gently separating pieces, until golden brown on first side, about 1 minute; turn chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer chicken to clean bowl.
- Repeat with additional 2 teaspoons peanut oil and remaining chicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet; heat until just smoking.
- Add broccoli and cook 30 seconds; add 1/4 cup water, cover pan, and lower heat to medium-low.
- Cook broccoli until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes, then transfer broccoli to paper towel-lined plate.
- Add garlic/ginger mixture to skillet, increase heat to medium-high and cook, mashing mixture with spoon, until fragrant, sticky, and golden brown, 30 to 45 seconds, Return chicken to skillet and toss to combine.
- Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, add broccoi and cashews and stir to combine.
- Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.
Notes(from Cook's Illustrated magazine)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Award - Winning Tortilla SoupSee More