- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI have always been sheepish around soups based off of main dishes, but after the soup from Picky Palate I felt a little more daring. This paid off nicely. It was done in just over a half hour. And even my picky kids liked it. Serves 8 (which gives me a leftover night)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 broken lasagna noodles
- 2 c grated parmesan cheese (I used the stuff in the can)
- 1 (5.5 oz box) Italian or garlic croutons
- 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large dutch oven, saute onions and bell pepper in oil until tender over medium heat. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until beef is browned. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender (mine took 8 minutes). Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into your oven proof bowls. Top with croutons; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6 inches from heat, 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.