- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 broken lasagna noodles
- 2 c grated parmesan cheese (I used the stuff in the can)
- 1 (5.5 oz box) Italian or garlic croutons
- 2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large dutch oven, saute onions and bell pepper in oil until tender over medium heat. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until beef is browned. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender (mine took 8 minutes). Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into your oven proof bowls. Top with croutons; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6 inches from heat, 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.
NotesI have always been sheepish around soups based off of main dishes, but after the soup from Picky Palate I felt a little more daring. This paid off nicely. It was done in just over a half hour. And even my picky kids liked it. Serves 8 (which gives me a leftover night)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More