Tasty Macaroni and Cheese
Why I Love This Recipe
I have to admit I love the Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese. My hubby thinks this type of meal is garbage and won't eat it. Yet it is pasta and he is an Italian. Got to have tomato sauce for him
Ingredients You'll Need
12 oz. elbow macaroni
2 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup flour
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 13 x 9” baking dish with Pam.
2. Start to cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp. butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Mix 1/2 cup milk and flour in blender at low speed. Add milk mixture to onion, then whisk in remaining 3 1/2 cups milk, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
5. Cook milk mixture over medium low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened With slotted spoon removed bay leaf. Stir in cheeses and nutmeg until cheeses melt.
6. Drain pasta and stir into hot cheese mixture; pour into prepared baking dish.
7. Melt remaining 1 tbsp. butter in a small microwave proof bowl on high for 30 seconds; stir in crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.