- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is not your every day potato salad...
After the salad is complete, alow it to refrigerate for at least one hour. This allows the flavors to meld and, really, potato salad just tastes better cold!
It is very important that the potatoes are cold before you mix all the other ingrediants, as starchy foods (like cooked potatoes) are very susceptible to bacteria growth if left too long above 42° F.!
- 5 lbs. red potatoes
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 small sweet onion - diced 1/8"
- 8 strips bacon - diced 1/8"
- 1/2cup dry white wine (Chablis is as sweet as you want to go here)
- 1/2cup dry grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs - hard boiled, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
- 6 small dill pickles - chopped
- 2 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp ground celery seed
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes whole until 3/4 done - drain and cut into bite sized pieces - place on cookie sheets in a single layer and sprinkle with the vinegar.
- Place in refrigerator until completely cool.
- Cook the bacon until almost crisp (do not drain the fat).
- Add the onions to the bacon and cook until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the wine and cook over med-high heat until almost all the liquid is gone - allow to cool completely.
- When the bacon/onion mixture and the potatoes are cool, add them to a large bowl (large enough to hold everything and give you room to mix).
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix GENTLY (you want to leave the potatoes as whole as possible) with a rubber spatula or your hand until everything is incorporated well.