- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into bite-size cubes
- 5 thin slices ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 6 ounces Kamut® pasta spirals, or other whole grain pasta spirals
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/8 cup peeled, julienned burdock root
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup frozen petite peas or green beans
- 1/4 cup arame seaweed, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Tamari to taste
- Place tempeh and ginger in a steamer basket. Sprinkle with fennel seeds and steam over boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes. Discard ginger after steaming. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat the surface of the wok. Add burdock, carrots and onions and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add peas, arame and cabbage and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Stir in curry powder, salt and tamari and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. (If the mixture seems too dry, add a small amount of water from cooking the pasta.)
- When pasta and tempeh are cooked, drain and add them to the vegetables in the wok. Stir to combine all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more tamari or salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
NotesThis healthy stir-fry combines tempeh, burdock root and whole grain pasta with colorful vegetables.
Per serving (about 11oz/315g-wt.): 550 calories (160 from fat), 18g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 76g total carbohydrate (11g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 28g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Blue Collar Beer Cheese Dip
Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter FrostingSee More