TEMPEH WALNUT BURGERS
Tempeh Walnut Burgers
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 8-ounce package of soy tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 pound yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3-5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium-sized red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 green chile, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and ground to a course powder in a coffee grinder or spice grinder
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1.Bring the tempeh and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered 3-5 minutes or until tempeh is puffy. Drain, discarding liquid, if any. Allow to cool. Mash tempeh thoroughly with a fork.
2.Heat 1 tbsp oil in medium skillet over moderate heat. Add the tempeh. Reduce heat and cook uncovered, for a few minutes, stirring often. Stir in the sesame oil. Remove from heat and reserve.
3. steam the yams until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mash thoroughly with a fork. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp canola oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Add bell peppers and chile. Reduce heat and cook, covered, until bell peppers are tender, 6-8 minutes.
Add the mashed yams and vegetarian oyster sauce. Cook, uncovered, for a few minutes, stirring until well mixed. Remove from the heat.
4. place the reserved tempeh and the yam-bell pepper mixture in a food processor. Process until the mixture is reduced to a smooth puree. Transfer to a large bowl.Add the ground walnuts and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Mix with a large spoon or, with your hands, until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt. Form into 3-inch patties about 1/2 inch thick, mixing in extra bread crumbs if the patties don't hold their shape. They will be delicate, so handle gently.
5. prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. If broiling place th patties on a broiler pan or large cookie sheet with a lightly oiled piece of aluminum foil. Grill or broil 3-5 inches from the heat, 8 minutes per side or until done ( lightly browned)
makes 10 patties.
This particular recipe I like to change up to make it a bit more spicy by adding habaneros also a bold cheese.