- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 8-ounce package of soy tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 pound yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3-5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium-sized red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 green chile, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and ground to a course powder in a coffee grinder or spice grinder
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1.Bring the tempeh and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered 3-5 minutes or until tempeh is puffy. Drain, discarding liquid, if any. Allow to cool. Mash tempeh thoroughly with a fork.
- 2.Heat 1 tbsp oil in medium skillet over moderate heat. Add the tempeh. Reduce heat and cook uncovered, for a few minutes, stirring often. Stir in the sesame oil. Remove from heat and reserve.
- 3. steam the yams until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mash thoroughly with a fork. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp canola oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Add bell peppers and chile. Reduce heat and cook, covered, until bell peppers are tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the mashed yams and vegetarian oyster sauce. Cook, uncovered, for a few minutes, stirring until well mixed. Remove from the heat.
- 4. place the reserved tempeh and the yam-bell pepper mixture in a food processor. Process until the mixture is reduced to a smooth puree. Transfer to a large bowl.Add the ground walnuts and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Mix with a large spoon or, with your hands, until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt. Form into 3-inch patties about 1/2 inch thick, mixing in extra bread crumbs if the patties don't hold their shape. They will be delicate, so handle gently.
- 5. prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. If broiling place th patties on a broiler pan or large cookie sheet with a lightly oiled piece of aluminum foil. Grill or broil 3-5 inches from the heat, 8 minutes per side or until done ( lightly browned)
- makes 10 patties.
NotesI found this in a wonderful book called Vegetarian Burgers, by Bharti Kirchner who also wrote The Bold Vegetarian. I'm in love with many of these burgers and whats so great more than not the recipe makes around 10 burgers so you can freeze them for later. Much cheaper than premade varieties.
This particular recipe I like to change up to make it a bit more spicy by adding habaneros also a bold cheese.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
50 Shades of Taste
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More