- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon tamari
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet white miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups sunflower sprouts, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a medium pot with a steamer basket, steam tempeh cubes for 20 minutes, then cool slightly. Put ginger juice, brown rice syrup, 3 tablespoons of the tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and pepper flakes into a wide, shallow dish and whisk to combine. Add tempeh, turn to coat all over, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight. Drain well.
- In a food processor, mix together tahini, mustard, miso, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon tamari, garlic and 2 tablespoons warm water until smooth. Set dressing aside.
- Heat canola oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add tempeh and cook, turning once, until golden brown all over, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer tempeh to a paper towel to let drain and cool.
- Wipe out skillet so that it is dry and return to heat. Add corn and cook, stirring often, until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer corn to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Return skillet to heat, add pumpkin seeds and cook, stirring often, until golden and just beginning to puff and pop, about 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer pumpkin seeds to bowl with corn. Add tempeh, spinach, bell peppers and sunflower sprouts to bowl with corn and pumpkin seeds. Add dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with green onions and serve.
NotesAsian inspired sweet and hot marinated tempeh takes the stage along with fresh pan-toasted corn kernels, crunchy pumpkin seeds and delicate baby spinach. A creamy miso tahini dressing, infused with garlic, tamari and lemon juice seamlessly ties this salad together. To make the ginger juice, grate ginger over a small bowl, then squeeze it firmly to release its juice.
Per serving (about 9oz/265g-wt.): 470 calories (280 from fat), 32g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 950mg sodium, 34g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 22g protein