- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMakes 2 pie crusts 9" each
To pre bake bottom crust:
Roll out 1 pie crust disk on lightly floured surface to 13 1/2 inch round. Transfer to 9 inch diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. fold edges under and crimp decoratively, forming high rim (about 1/2 inch above sides of dish). Chill crust 30 minutes. Line crust with foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans, and bake crust until sides are set and pale golden, about 35 minutes. Transfer dish to rack; remove foil with the weights or beans, then brush warm crust with egg white.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 sticks butter, salted, chilled, diced
- 8 tbsp ice water, & more if needed
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter; pulse, process until coarse meal forms.
- Add 8 tablespoons ice water and cider vinegar; pulse until moist clumps form, adding more teaspoons ice water at a time as needed if dough is dry.
- Gather dough together and turn dough out onto work surface; divide dough in half, and form each half into ball, then flatten into disk. Wrap disks separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Can be refrigerated up to 2 days, or enclose in zip-lock plastic bag and freeze up to one month; then thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.