- Cooking Time: 120
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp cocoa
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups nuts (walnuts or pecans are good)
- 1 1/2 cups jam (favorite flavor)
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat well and make sure the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- It helps to let the butter sit out a while and soften a bit before starting.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each. This gives the cake more lift.
- Mix together the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves allspice and cocoa in a separate bowl. It works well to sift the items to get everything blended well, but a fork can also be used.
- Then add the raisins and nuts to the flour. This coats the raisins and nuts and keeps them from rising up to the top of the cake.
- Measure out the milk and add the vanilla to the milk.
- Put the baking soda in the milk mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Rotate the flour mix with the milk mix and beat after each addition.
- Finally, mix in the jam and stir to get that mixed in evenly.
- Grease a tube pan and pour in batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for around 2 hours. Check now and then, since oven temperatures vary.
- Tennessee Jam Cake can also be made in two sheet pans (around 9 x 11 size)or 3 8" round pans.
- Again, grease the pans. With the smaller amounts in each pan and spread out, it take about 40 minutes to make the jam cake recipe in sheets.
NotesFor Christmas my momma always use blackberry jam we had put up that year, but I found out other kinds of jams add a great taste to this. She always use home made carmel frosting, but cream cheese will do.The mix of spices leave the kitchen smelling like heaven. The buttermilk makes it super moist.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
The Naked Macaron
The Italian ExchangeSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More