- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 frying chicken, skin removed if you want lower fat. I leave the skin on.
- 1 Teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Milk or water
- Mix seasonings with flour. Roll chicken in flour until covered. Shake off excess flour.
- Simply fry chicken in frying pan until golden
- brown. I like it crispy so I cook it a little longer than most. You can start out with the oil very hot and then reduce it later. This seals in the moisture and flavor, then cooks it.
- After chicken is cooked place on papper towels.
- Mix left over seasoned flour to oil for gravy. Brown flour on medium high while stirring with a fork.
- Add cold milk for milk gravy or cold water for brown, how much depends on how thick you like your gravy. By using cold liquid the gravy will not lump, but you have to stir it the whole time it is cooking. When gravy is as thick or thin as you like it, can be used on chicken, potatoes or on the bread.
NotesEvery Sunday we'd have fresh killed chickens. Some times baked, boiled, but mostly fried with milk gravy. Made from milking the cows that morning. It was the meal Granny Clouse made, we looked forward to all week.
By the way you can cook chops same way as the chicken. So good, make you slap your granny!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More