- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 2 TB butter
- 1 lb yellow squash, sliced
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and stemmed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 TB all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (more for garnish if desired)
- 2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350' F and lightly grease a casserole dish (13" x 9")
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the yellow squash, zucchini, onions and jalapenos.
- Saute until the squash is tender. This could take about 10 minutes or more.
- Add in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Cook for a minute and add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flour and stir until you have a light brown paste. This takes maybe a minute or so. Stir in the broth and crushed tomatoes, stirring until everything thickens up. Add the half and half, sour cream and cilantro. Remove from heat.
- In the bottom of your prepared casserole dish, spread out the crushed tortilla chips. Pour the incredibly yummy squash mixture over the chips
- Cover the top with the grated cheese. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with more cilantro if desired
NotesThe Homesick Texan strikes again with an amazing recipe. This casserole reminds me of tortilla soup, only in a casserole form. Simple delicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More