- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 2 TB butter
- 1 lb yellow squash, sliced
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and stemmed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 TB all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (more for garnish if desired)
- 2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350' F and lightly grease a casserole dish (13" x 9")
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the yellow squash, zucchini, onions and jalapenos.
- Saute until the squash is tender. This could take about 10 minutes or more.
- Add in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Cook for a minute and add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flour and stir until you have a light brown paste. This takes maybe a minute or so. Stir in the broth and crushed tomatoes, stirring until everything thickens up. Add the half and half, sour cream and cilantro. Remove from heat.
- In the bottom of your prepared casserole dish, spread out the crushed tortilla chips. Pour the incredibly yummy squash mixture over the chips
- Cover the top with the grated cheese. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with more cilantro if desired
NotesThe Homesick Texan strikes again with an amazing recipe. This casserole reminds me of tortilla soup, only in a casserole form. Simple delicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More