- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 1/4c all purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbl chili powder
- 1 small canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1 tbl adobo sauce from can
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 8 corn torillas (6")
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
- MAKE SAUCE: In a med saucepan, heat 1 1/2 tbl oil over med. Add flour and cook, whisking occasionally, 1 minute. Add broth, bhili powder, chopotle and the adobe sauce, and 3/4 c water. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- MAKE FILLING: In a skillet, heat remaining oil (1/2 tbl) over med high. Add onion, garlic and beef, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon 1/4 c sauce in bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- MAKE ENCHILADAS: Stack tortillas, wrap in foil and warm in oven for 10 minutes. After warming, fill each with a heaping 1/4c beef mixture and 2 tbl cheese. Tightly roll up.
- Raise oven temp to 450 degrees F. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce, sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5-10 min before serving. Serve garnished with cilantro.
NotesYet another of my favorites from "Everyday Food" - it's a little spicy, but nothing that is too hard to handle!