- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Grease a 15X10X1-inch or jelly roll pan or a 13X9X2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven about 25 minutes for the 15X10-inch pan or 35 minutes for the 13X9-inch pan, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More