- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Grease a 15X10X1-inch or jelly roll pan or a 13X9X2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven about 25 minutes for the 15X10-inch pan or 35 minutes for the 13X9-inch pan, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.