- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 135
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 5 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 1 hot jalapeno or serrano chile, seeds removed, finely chopped, or more or less to your taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- Cut beef and pork into 1-inch cubes. In a wide bowl or food storage bag, combine flour with salt and pepper. Toss meat cubes with the seasoned flour. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the meat in the oil, stirring often. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened. Add the 4 cups of water; simmer for 1 hour.
- Soak the dried chiles in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Process soaked chile peppers in a blender with just enough of the soaking water to make a pureé. Strain out excess liquid. Add the pureé to the meat mixture along with all remaining ingredients; simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve with hot cooked pinto beans and rice on the side.
NotesFact: Texans love beef.
Fact: Chili is the best beef dish ever.
Fact: Texas chili is epic.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More