- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 135
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 5 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 1 hot jalapeno or serrano chile, seeds removed, finely chopped, or more or less to your taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- Cut beef and pork into 1-inch cubes. In a wide bowl or food storage bag, combine flour with salt and pepper. Toss meat cubes with the seasoned flour. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the meat in the oil, stirring often. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened. Add the 4 cups of water; simmer for 1 hour.
- Soak the dried chiles in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Process soaked chile peppers in a blender with just enough of the soaking water to make a pureé. Strain out excess liquid. Add the pureé to the meat mixture along with all remaining ingredients; simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve with hot cooked pinto beans and rice on the side.
NotesFact: Texans love beef.
Fact: Chili is the best beef dish ever.
Fact: Texas chili is epic.
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More