- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Ancho chile paste
- 1 ancho chile
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped mild green chiles
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile paste (Above)
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano**
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups (about 3/4 pound)chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fried thin tortilla strips
- 3 large avocados, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Make the chile paste
- 1. Remove the stem and seeds from ancho chile. Toast chile in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about a minute or so. Place the chile in a bowl and cover with boiling water mixed with the vinegar. Rehydrate for 20 to 30 minutes. Purée the chile in a blender with just enough of the soaking liquid to make a thick paste (think tomato paste consistency). Makes about 1/4 cup of chile paste. Set aside.
- MAKE THE SOUP
- 1. Melt the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft, about 2 to 3 more minutes.
- 2. Stir in the corn, tomatoes, jalapeño, green chiles, chile paste, and spices, cooking another minute or so.
- 3. Stir in the chicken stock. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Whisk the cornstarch and water together. Whisk into the boiling soup. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- 4. Ladle the soup into warm soup bowls. Garnish with fried tortilla strips, avocado chunks, and a tablespoon of sour cream.
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More