THAI FRIED RICE
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 8 ounces ground pork or pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric or paprika
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked vegetables such as broccoli, zucchini, red bell peppers, carrots, bok choy or spinach
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
Bring water and rice to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Fluff rice with fork.
Let cool to room temperature.
Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
When rice is cold, cook pork in wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
Drain off excess fat; transfer pork to bowl and set aside.
Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat surface.
Add onion, ginger, jalapeño, garlic and turmeric; stir-fry 4 to 6 minutes or until onion is tender.
Stir in fish sauce; mix well.
Stir in cold rice, vegetables and pork; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
Push rice mixture to side of wok and pour eggs into center.
Cook eggs 2 to 3 minutes or just until set, lifting and stirring to scramble.
Stir rice mixture into eggs.
Stir in green onions. Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with cilantro.