Thai-curried Australian lamb shanks with cilantro rice
• 4 Australian Lamb shanks
• 2 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil
• 1 white onion
• 1 cup white wine
• 14 fl oz can Coconut Milk
• juice and grated zest of 1 lime
• 2 tablespoons Thai Green Curry Paste
• 2 stalks lemon grass, tender white end only, peeled, crushed and chopped
• 3 tablespoons diced fresh ginger
• 1 cup Jasmine or short grain rice
• ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2-3 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
Trim lamb shanks of excess fat and sinew and place in large dish. Combine coconut milk, lime juice and zest, curry paste, and half of the lemon grass and ginger. Pour over shanks. Cover and marinate 2-3 hours, turning lamb occasionally. Drain the lamb well, pour marinade through a sieve and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large casserole dish and sauté onion with remaining lemon grass and ginger. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Add the marinade and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until very tender and meat is starting to fall off the bone.
3. When the lamb is nearly cooked, prepare the rice. Place cilantro in a food processor and add oil and vinegar. Process until smooth, adding more oil if necessary to make a sauce consistency. Set aside. Cook rice according to directions on the package and fluff with fork. Fold through half of the cilantro dressing.
To serve, spoon rice onto plates and top with lamb shank. Spoon over strained pan juices and drizzle with remaining cilantro dressing. Great with steamed snap peas and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay!