- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups Pillsbury all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and margarine until warm (120-130 degrees). Add warm liquid, vanilla and eggs to flour mixture. Blend
- at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in remaining 11/2-21/2 cups flour to form soft dough.
- Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes, until light and doubled in size. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets. In a small bowl, combine nuts, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; blend well.
- Drop about 1/4 cup dough into nut mixture; thoroughly coat. Stretch dough to about 8 inches in length; twist into desired shape.
- Place on greased cookies sheets. Repeat
- with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Uncover dough. Bake 8-16 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets; cool on
- wire racks. Serve warm.
NotesThese twists from Theodora Smafield of Michigan won the grand prize in the first Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1949. This recipe uses a streamlined method for the preparation of the dough from the original recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
culinary karmaSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More