- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 cans (15.5-ounces each) pinto beans, drained, liquid reserved, 1 can left whole, 1 can fork-mashed
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. each: coarsely ground pepper and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. prepared cocktail sauce
- 6 good quality whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese (4 1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1. Mix beans, breadcrumbs, eggs, pepper and garlic in a medium bowl adding enough bean liquid for mixture to hold together without being wet. Divide into 6 equal portions and flatten into 4-inch patties. Mix mayonnaise and cocktail sauce; set aside.
- 2. Warm buns in a 300-degree oven, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook, turning only once, until a crisp brown crust forms on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Top burgers with cheese slices, cover skillet, turn heat to low and let burgers continue to cook until cheese melts.
- 3. Spread cut side of each roll with the sauce. Set burger on bun bottom, top with sauerkraut, cap with bun top and serve.
NotesI found this recipe one day in the newspaper. It is delicious and easy to make!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More