THE BEST BAKED POTATO SOUP
- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 chopped green onion (green part only)
1. Wash potatoes thoroughly and microwave until tender.
2. If you would like you can always bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
3. As the potatoes are cooling, melt your butter in a large saucepan and saute your onions until light brown.
4. Add in your flour to make a roux.
5. Add in your chicken broth, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce your heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Take your cooled potatoes and peel off the skin and chop up into desired pieces.
8. Add in your chopped up potatoes and the heavy whipping cream to your soup and bring it back to a boil.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is thick.
10. Garnish with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.