THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 10 ounce package of frozen organic squash thawed
- 3/4 cup pear nectar
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro
1. soak or wash leeks, thoroughly to remove all grit, drain. In a large saucepan, heat butter/ghee over medium low heat. Add leeks and saute until translucent, 5-8 minutes. Add curry and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add squask, pear nectar, and broth. bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
3. puree soup with a hand blender, or transfer to a food processor or blender and process until thick and smooth. If making ahead, cool and refrigerate.
4. before serving, reheat. add evaporated skim milk and heat through. season to taste with salt and pepper. serve, sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
you can use onion instead of leeks
use unfiltered apple juice instead of pear juice
after step 3, omit skim milk completely or use coconut milk
Add a pound of peeled and deveined shrimp - heat for about 4 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
add 1/3 cup chopped green onions