- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 TB milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Scant 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Ovaltine powder
- The instructions say to use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. I have a mixer with a stand. It's 20 yrs old. Basically its a hand mixer that slides onto the stand for convenience. I don't have paddles or any other special attachments. If you're in the same boat as me, don't worry. It works out just fine.
- Cream together the butter, cocoa powder and salt.
- Note: Ummm....I had a cocoa powder dust cloud going here. Next time I think I'll cream the butter first and then add the cocoa powder and salt a little at a time. Just for the sake of having less of a mess to clean up.
- Continue to mix for another 3 minutes....which at this point you should have a nice creamy chocolaty mix.
- Scrape down the sides and add the powdered sugar, while the mixer is on low speed.
- Note: After my cocoa powder dust cloud...I added the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, along with the milk and vanilla.
- As the sugar incorporates, increase the mixer speed gradually to medium high, scraping down the sides as needed, until everything's nice and smooth.
- Mix together the heavy cream and Ovaltine.
- Note: Believe it or not...this was the first time I had ever bought Ovaltine. I may have had some as a child but I honestly can't remember. I know my mom never bought it. Apparently there are a few flavors to choose from. I used the rich chocolate Ovaltine. You can use whichever you prefer.
- Turn the mixer to medium and add the cream slowly. Beat until you have a delicious frosting that's your desired consistency. Joy the Baker says to add more powdered sugar to adjust the consistency to your liking. You want something that is smooth, creamy and spreadable.
NotesJoy the Baker created this recipe in her new cookbook. Its great on brownies, cupcakes or as a finger dipper.
Half of this recipe was used on Chocolate Fudge Brownies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Cooking with Sabra
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More