- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 2/3 cups (12 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks; 8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) strong coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the bottoms and sides of the pans with melted butter and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping thoroughly between each addition.
- Alternately add the flour and sour cream mixtures to the butter mixture in two batches, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scrape down the bowl after each addition.
- Gradually pour in the coffee.
- Scrape down the bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans or muffin tins.
- For 9-inch cake pans, bake 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean; for half-sheet pans, bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean; for cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes or until they spring back after being touched.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once the cake is cool, release it from its pan by running a metal spatula or knife around the sides of the pan.
- Flip the cake over onto another pan or cake board and peel away the layer of parchment.
NotesThis Chocolate cake is from a famous cake decorator in NYC. It's really good!!
Adventures in Cooking
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More