- Cooking Time: 28-30
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1 cup (8 oz) butter
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 1¼ cups Dutch-process cocoa
- ½ tsp salt*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups (6¼ ounces) King Arthur All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (12 oz bag) chocolate chips
- *increase the salt to 1 tsp if using unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add sugar and stir to combine.
- Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly just until hot but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating the butter and sugar a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating till smooth; then add flour and chips, beating till well combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 28 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out dry (though it may have a few crumbs clinging to it). The brownies should feel set both on the edges, and in the center.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and after 5 minutes loosen the edges with a table knife; this helps prevent the brownies from sinking in the center as they cool.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving. Yields 2 dozen brownies.
NotesRecipe from King Arthur Flour