- Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- * 1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread)
- * 1/3 cup whole milk
- * 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- * 3 garlic cloves, minced
- * 1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- * 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- * 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- * 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- * 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- * 2 pounds ground mix beef chuck, pork, and veal
- * 2 large eggs
- * 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Soak bread crumbs in milk in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low, then cook until carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, allspice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add to bread-crumb mixture.
- Finely chop bacon and prunes in a food processor, then add to onion mixture along with beef, pork, eggs, and parsley and mix together with your hands.
- Pack mixture into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a 13- by 9-inch shallow baking dish or pan.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meatloaf registers 155°F, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is the best meatloaf ever! It will change even the biggest meatloaf hater's opion of meatloaf!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More