- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes with the juice
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock (or low-sodium broth)
- 3/4 cup ditalini pasta or other small shape
- 1/2 package (5 ounces) frozen spinach leaves, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium stockpot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften. Stir in the potato, zucchini, tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and partially cover the pot. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until al dente. Add the spinach and basil and cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
NotesI got this recipe from the Boston Globe years ago. It's also excellent the second day.