THE BEST MINESTRONE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes with the juice
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock (or low-sodium broth)
- 3/4 cup ditalini pasta or other small shape
- 1/2 package (5 ounces) frozen spinach leaves, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium stockpot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften. Stir in the potato, zucchini, tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and partially cover the pot. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until al dente. Add the spinach and basil and cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.