The Best N'awlins Shrimp and Grits with Red-eye Gravy
2 cups of heavy cream
2 cups of whole milk
1 cup of stone ground grits (must be stone ground, can find on the internet to purchase if you don't live in the south)
1/2 cup of marscapone cheese
Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the shrimp and red eye gravy:
8 bacon strips, cut crosswise into thirds
20 jumbo shrimp (12 per lb, about 1 3/4 lbs), peeled and deveined and leaving the tail intact. I personally like the tail off
4 large wooden skewers soaked in water for 10 minutes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 1/2 teaspoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 tablespoons of pepper jelly (can find online if needed)
1 tablespoon of cold unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of minced fresh chives
Grits directions (note: I make 4 cups for this recipe rather than 1)
In a medium saucepan bring cream and mile to a simmer over moderately low heat. Whisk in grits and cook, stirring often, 25 minutes. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Shrimp and Red-eye Gravy:
1. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around center of each shrimp (reserve left over bacon) and line up on a work surface. Skewer 5 wrapped shrimp onto each skewer, leaving a little space in between each shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until almost smoking. Add 2 skewers and cook 2 minutes each side, or until the bacon gets crisp. Repeat cooking shrimp in same manner. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
3. Add vinegar and brown sugar to the drippings in the skillet, and let cook until reduced by half. Add chicken stock and cover over high heat until reduced by half. Add jelly and cook for 1 minute or until jelly is dissolved. Remove skillet from heat and add butter, stirring, until just melted. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Ina small skillet, cook left over bacon until crisp, cool and crumble.
5. To serve, mount grits on plates. Remove shrimp from the skewers and arrange around grits. Drizzle sauce over grits and garnish with reserved bacon and chives.
Pairs Well With
This recipe is from a restaurant that is near and dear to my heart in New Orleans, Mr. B's. They make the best N'awlins BBQ Shrimp and a damn fine shrimp and grits. Louisiana is where I was born and raised and where all my family lives. I feel blessed to be from that culture.
Submitted by: "Jen Kevil"