THE BEST RED VELVET CAKE EVERRRRRR.
The Best Red Velvet Cake everrrrrr.
- Cooking Time: about 40 min
- Servings: about 12
- Preparation Time: a good while
- We start with a Sour Cream Cake. This recipe comes from Southern Living.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-8 oz. container sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs Cocoa
- 2- 1 oz. bottles red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2- 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-16 oz. boxes powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the cake:
1. Beat butter in a mixer until creamy. Add sugar and beat until flufffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda, and cocoa in a seperate bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream - starting and ending with the flour mixture.
4. Stir in vanilla - then stir in red food coloring.
5. Use batter immediately. I made a 6-layer cake, so I used 6 disposable metal cake pans. Of course I greased and floured them when I preheated the oven.
6. Distribute batter evenly amongst the cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes. Be sure to start checking cake around 15 minutes. I’m super paranoid that the cake with be dry, because red velvet has that tendency.
7. Remove from oven when toothpick inserted comes out clean, and allow to cool for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
8. Prepare cream cheese frosting, because that is the ONLY acceptable icing for a Red Velvet.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.
2. Gradually mix in the powdered sugar.
3. Stir in vanilla.
4. Frost that mother, and refrigerate.
*A lot of people use pecans in their cream cheese frosting. Me, however, I choose to add them to the finished product. I think it’s more aesthetically pleasing, plus it’s SO much easier to frost with the smooth icing.
Best. In. The. World.