- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1 1/4 lb. ground chuck
- 1/4 c. fresh minced parsley
- 2 TBS. scallion, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 TBS. all-purpose flour
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 TBS. garlic, minced
- 1 TBS. tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 4 tsp. minced, fresh parsley
- 4 tsp. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Cheese Toasts
- 4 slices French bread or baguette, cut diagonally (1/2" thick)
- 2 TBS. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated (I used 4 italian cheese blend, shredded)
- 1 TBS. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt and pepper.
- Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into 3/4"-1" thick oval patties.
- Place 2 TBS. flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour.
- Reserve 1 tsp. flour.
- Heat 1 TBS. oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Remove from pan.
- Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown.
- Sprinkle onions with reserved flour; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme.
- Return meat to pan and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over.
- Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.
- For the Cheese Toasts
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place bread on baking sheet.
- Combine butter, garlic and paprika and spread on one side of each slice of bread.
- Combine cheeses and sprinkle evenly over butter.
- Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.
NotesThis is out of a Cuisine magazine. And it is the most amazing thing ever! It looks like a lot of ingredients and work, but really isn't too bad. I am incredibly lazy in the kitchen, so trust me, this is worth it. And when you taste it, you'll be glad you made the effort.
This recipe is for Salisbury steak, put on top of cheese toast, with onions and sauce on top.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
The Naked Macaron
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More