- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 12 pieces Sweet Italian Sausage, each sliced into 6 pieces
- 5 large red bell peppers, cleaned and sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 6 fresh basil, torn ( my mom freezes basil from her garden so she has it all winter)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large chicken fryer (large surface area with sides about 3 inches high) brown sausage in extra virgin olive oil. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, basil and crushed red pepper and saute for a few minutes until onions begin to soften and then add peppers. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until peppers soften.
- Add browned sausage and stir together with vegetbles.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with some crusty Italian bread sandwich style or for dipping.
NotesThis is the recipe for my mom's sausage and peppers. In the summer she sometimes grills the sausage and adds it to the peppers. It's great either way. If you want to make it a heartier meal and don't want to make a sandwich you can add potatoes.
Mom's Tip - Cut sausage with a scissor instead of a knife. It cuts through easier without sausage coming out of the casing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More