- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 2 slices fresh focaccia bread (homemade is preferable, but store bought is fine), sliced horizontally
- 10 oz. flank steak
- (4) 1/4" slices Italian eggplant (slice the eggplant lengthwise)
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on grill or in medium skillet over medium high heat. Season steak with salt and freshly ground pepper. Saute about 2 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove from heat, tent with foil and let rest.
- Heat about 1/4" olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is very hot, dredge eggplant slices in egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Place eggplant in the oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until eggplant is golden brown, about two minutes on each side. Remove from oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- To Assemble:
- Heat focaccia bread either in clean skillet or toaster oven until just warm. Slice steak into 1/2" slices on a bias cut. Arrange on bottom half of bread. Top with 2 slices eggplant, then mozzarella. Top with second half of bread. Serve immediately.
NotesThis may be the best sandwich I have ever tried. If you can, use freshly made rosemary focaccia bread, but store bought will be fine as well.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
MidLife Road Trip'sSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More