THE BEST TORTILLA SOUP
- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large cooked chicken breast halves, shredded
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- diced avocados
- sour cream (optional)
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (optional)
1. In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, bringing to a boil.
4. Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
5. Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
6. Reduce heat.
7. Add salt and cayenne and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaves and stir in shredded chicken.
9. Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese and avocado, and sour cream and fried tortillas if desired.