- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can (19oz/540ml) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- and meat cut up ( store bought is easiest)
- 1/3 cup light (5%) cream
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- Hot, cooked basmati rice (optional)
- Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt & pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cut-up chicken, cream, and sour cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice if desired.
NotesA fragrant Indian Butter Chicken that doesn't use lots of butter or heavy cream. It is a very tasty dish.