- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryThis recipe comes compliments of the Inbal Jerusalem Hotel -- which is serving it to guests this Passover. The recipe is parve, and holiday-appropriate. The Inbal Jerusalem hotel is an award-winning, five-star deluxe hotel situated in the heart of Jerusalem overlooking the Old City walls, and minutes away from all the major cultural and historical sites. With its Jerusalem stone exterior, the 283-room hotel is known for its intimate authentic Jerusalem character and impeccable world-class service. For more information, visit www.InbalHotel.com
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 piece celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 kg Jerusalem artichokes peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying garnish)
- 200 ml parve cream
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 50 g of margarine with butter flavor extract
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3 pieces of Jerusalem artichoke peeled kept on the side (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for drizzling on the soup
- Heat a medium pot with vegetable oil. Add onions and fry until they are translucent.
- Add garlic, celery, and Jerusalem artichokes to pan. Saute -- but do not brown them.
- Add vegetable stock simmer over low heat for about 1 hour until the artichoke starts to fall apart.
- In the meantime cut fine slivers from Jerusalem artichoke, hold to the side for garnish. It's best if you do this step with a mandolin.
- Heat 3 TBS Vegetable Oil to about 180 degrees Celsius for deep frying the artichoke slivers.
- As soon as the temperature is reached add the Artichoke slivers carefully in the Oil and fry them until golden brown. Remove slivers and place them on a paper towel so the excess fat can drop off.
- When the soup has simmered for about an hour, and artichokes are falling apart, use a stick blender to blend soup until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- To serve, reheat the soup. Remove from heat and and add cold cubed margarine and the parve cream. Reblend using stick blender to "froth it up" (if soup is being made dairy, use butter and cream, instead)
- To serve, portion soup into bowls. drizzle with olive oil and fried artichoke garnish.
Recipes Worth Counter Surfing For - Vizsla Owners Best Loved Recipes
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Chips Galore Cookies
Betty Crocker Spinach-Cheese BallsSee More