The Iron Man Salad
80 g Quinoa
350 g Cabbage
4 tsp Chia Seeds
How to cook Quinoa:
1. Fill a saucepan with 2 espresso cups* of water and heat until almost boiled.
2. Add 1 espresso cup of quinoa (80g) into the boiled water, and lower the heat to low/medium*,
3. Boil for 15 minutes*, while mixing it from time to time.
4. Let the quinoa cool down* for some time.
Preparing the salad:
1. While the quinoa is cooking, remove the first few dirty leaves from the cabbage.
2. Chop the cabbage as patiently as you can.
3. Mix the cabbage in a bowl with 2 tsp of chia seeds.
4. Add lemon, olive oil and salt to taste.
5. Add the other 2 tsp of chia seeds, and mix again.
6. When the quinoa is cooled, add it and mix again.
Cooking quinoa notes:
1* I say 2 espresso cups because 1 espresso cup is 80g quinoa, and the water:quinoa ratio is 2:1.
2* On my heater, there are a maximum of 9 levels, and I cook quinoa on 4.
3* You know it's finished when there is no water left in the saucepan.
4* I have a nice trick for cooling quinoa on my "Currynoa Salad" article.
Pairs Well With
I suffer from Iron Deficiency.
One Saturday, me and my SO were hiking for eleven hours. We had plans for the night, and I knew that thanks to my iron levels I'd fall asleep instantly after I arrive home.
Nikola tried his best to think of some vegetables with iron in them, and combine them with nutrients that increase the bioavailability of iron (cystine, ascorbic acid)...
That's how the Iron Man Salad was born...
Read the whole story, and the science behind the salad here: http://fromloverswithlove.com/veggies-with-iron/