- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 stick + 3 Tbsp unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Dash of Tobasco
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 9-inch pre-made pie crusts
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 (if baking now and not freezing). Melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat and saute onion, carrots, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed red pepper, thyme, and salt & pepper. Add the chicken and peas and remove from heat.
- In another pan, melt the remaining stick of butter and gradually whisk the flour until smooth. Whisk the chicken stock in to the pan 1/2 cup at a time and cook until it thickens. Stir in the cream, a few dashes of Tobasco sauce, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour half of the chicken mixture into a 9-inch round casserole dish and cover with half of the cream sauce. Unroll the pie crust onto the top of the dish. Whisk the egg with 2 Tbsp water and brush onto the pie crust. Repeat for the other casserole dish. Wrap tightly and place in the freezer or bake for 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown. You can bake this dish straight from the freezer, but keep it covered for the first 30 minutes and uncover for the remaining 15 minutes so the crust browns nicely.
- Note: This mixture can be divided into individual servings by spooning the filling into 10-oz ramekins (serves 6) and using a biscuit cutter to cut the pie crusts slightly larger than the ramekins (1-2 inches wider
NotesThe Rather Sweet Bakery in Fredericksburg is famous for many confections, one being their All Sold Out Chicken Pot Pies. This dish is based on that recipe.
Incredibly rich and comforting, it really is the last chicken pot pie recipe you'll ever need!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
The Best Dang Little Dumplings Ever
Steamed Sweet Coconut Parcels
HERBED SALMONSee More